After Eight Tart!
A
delightful no-bake After Eight tart with a chocolate biscuit base, mint
filling, chocolate ganache topping and after eights! Mint heaven.
Chocolate + mint = obsession!
I have mentioned a few times now how
obsessed I am with the chocolate and mint combination… and I am not stopping
anytime soon. I can only apologise if you don’t like anything mint themed,
because you aren’t going to have enjoyed this festive season too much!
I wanted to make a delicious and
showstopping no-bake dessert that would be ridiculously easy to make and create
one of my absolute favourite recipes ever! Honestly, I can’t actually cope with
how much I love this one?! Seriously!
After Eight tart
I took inspiration from many recipes for
this absolute beauty, such as my no-bake biscoff tart, and my easter salted
caramel tart – just with a bit of a mint after eight twist! The idea of the
bake is to be a giant biscuit based after eight, and it works!!
I have genuinely made this dessert
countless times over the last few weeks, and will be making it twice over
Christmas itself – I genuinely love it that much! Something about the
chocolatey base, topped with the world’s easiest mint filling, and the most delicious
chocolate topping… Oh my days.
Tart base
For this
recipe I used the same base as in my Baileys chocolate tart and billionaires
tart because something about the cocoa powder mixed with digestives and butter
creates the perfect base! I prefer the cocoa powder in the base compared to
using chocolate digestives.
I tend to
blitz my biscuits up to a fine crumb in a food processor, and then blitz again
quickly with the cocoa powder. I then add the melted butter, and mix
again. I then just tip all of the biscuit mixture into the tart tin.
If you did however want to use a
chocolate digestive, you will want to use two thirds of the butter – using a
biscuit with a filling, a ‘light’ alternative, or a chocolate coating requires
less butter. You want the mixture to have enough butter though to combine with
the biscuit crumbs and compress into the bottom and sides of the tart in.
Tin
I used this tart tin for
this recipe, as I do with all my other tart recipes. I know I normally
use 8”/20cm
round tins for my cakes and cheesecakes, but using a 9”/23cm tart tin works
so much better for the ratio of ingredients. It creates the perfect depth of
dessert.
I start by pressing the biscuits into
the side of the tin, making it about 5mm thick – but this is only rough. I
find it easier to do the sides to make sure they are sturdy enough. You can
then press the biscuit base into the bottom of the rest of the tin. I find it
easiest to refrigerate the tart quickly at this point, whilst you do the rest
of the tart. Just means you can let it set briefly to prevent accidentally
ruining the biscuit base later.
Mint and chocolate filling
For the mint
filling, it’s very similar to my mint slice filling – just without the
colouring. I wanted it to literally look like the middle of an after eight, so
I used icing sugar, water and peppermint extract. You really want to GRADUALLY
add the water 1 tsp at a time, as you want the icing to be really thick and a
paste; not runny!
The ratios for the ingredients perfectly
fitted my tin, so if your mixture overflows you might have had a slightly more
shallow tin, or not compress your biscuit base enough – if you are worried, you
can pour the mint icing over the base, and then put the tart in the fridge. You
could then pour the chocolate mix over the mint, in the fridge to prevent
spilling it when you move the dessert.
Setting and decorate
Because the mixture is quite thin, it’s
best to leave the tart to set for at least one hour, before you add the after
eights. I used nearly an entire packet to decorate my tart as I wanted to go
overkill – but you can obviously use less. I gently pressed them in, gently
enough to not break the after eight.
Once set, you
can carefully remove the tin (always best to use the one I recommend as
it’s a
loose bottomed tin) – and then serve! You can add the fresh mint
for decoration if you fancy, and even some sprinkles or chocolate curls but
that is just for the look. ENJOY!!! x
After Eight Tart!
A delightful no-bake after eight tart
with a chocolate biscuit base, mint filling, chocolate ganache topping and
after eights! Mint heaven.
#wprm-recipe-rating-5
.wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * { fill: #343434;
}#wprm-recipe-rating-5 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-33 svg * { fill:
url(#wprm-recipe-rating-5-33); }#wprm-recipe-rating-5
.wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-50 svg * { fill:
url(#wprm-recipe-rating-5-50); }#wprm-recipe-rating-5 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-66
svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-rating-5-66);
}linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-5-33 stop { stop-color: #343434;
}linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-5-50 stop { stop-color: #343434;
}linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-5-66 stop { stop-color: #343434; }
Print
Pin Rate
Category: Dessert
Type: Tarts
Keyword: After Eight, Christmas
Prep Time: 20 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes minutes
Setting Time: 2 hours hours
Total Time: 2 hours hours 40 minutes
minutes
Servings: 12 Slices
Author: Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
Biscuit Crust
·
300 g
digestives
·
25 g cocoa
powder
·
100 g
unsalted butter
Filling
·
250 g icing
sugar
·
1 tsp
peppermint extract
·
1-2 tbsp
water
Ganache
·
300 ml double
cream
·
125 g dark
chocolate
·
125 g milk
chocolate
·
50 g unsalted
butter
Decoration
·
1 packet
after eights
·
Fresh mint
·
Sprinkles/chocolate
curls
Grams – Ounces
Instructions
Biscuit base
·
Using a food
processor, blitz all of the biscuits to a fine crumb and add the cocoa powder.
·
Add in the
melted butter and mix until it is a wet sand texture.
·
Press this
into the sides and base of a 23cm pie/flan/quiche tin (mine was 3cm deep).
·
I press into
the sides first, then the base. Refrigerate for now.
Filling
·
In a bowl,
add the icing sugar and peppermint essence
·
And enough
water, 1 tsp at a time, until it forms a thick paste – spread across the
biscuit base carefully.
Ganache
·
In a
heatproof pan, add your double cream and heat until just before boiling point.
·
In a separate
bowl, add the milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and unsalted butter and pour on
the hot double cream. Whisk together until smooth!
·
If the
chocolate is still slightly not melted, heat for 10 second bursts in the
microwave until combined well. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a
large bowl and microwave/whisk until smooth.
·
Pour the
chocolate mixture onto the mint filling and refrigerate for an hour.
Decoration
·
After the
hour, carefully decorate with the after eights. You want the ganache to be
starting to firm, but not be completely set. This is so that they don’t sink,
but also soft enough that they stick.
·
Set again for
another hour or two until set.
·
Add on some
fresh mint leaves, and chocolate curls/sprinkles. Enjoy.
Notes
·
This dessert
will last in the fridge for 3 days, covered.
·
If you want
to use all dark chocolate, use 200g!
·
If you want
to use all milk chocolate, use 350g!
·
I used this tart tin
·
I used this dark chocolate
·
I used this milk chocolate
·
I used this peppermint extract
·
You can use
as many or as few after eights – I used nearly an entire packet!
·
If you want a
regular biscuit base, remove the cocoa powder.
ENJOY!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes
Page!
You can find
me on:
Instagram
Facebook













