Chicken,
Leek & Bacon Pie!
A delicious and comforting homemade
chicken, leek & bacon pie which is an easy and perfect dinner idea for the
family
Say hello to
probably the first proper recipe of homemade proper food on this blog, and I
hope you LOVE IT. It’s cosy, it’s warm, it’s the perfect delicious dish that I
adore making during the week or at weekends, as it really is so easy to make!
Chicken & Bacon
So obviously one of the main parts of this
pie is the chicken, and the bacon. I have always loved the combination of
chicken and bacon together, so when you add these flavours into a pie? It gets
even better.
I use bacon lardons in this recipe as I
love chunks of the bacon once they have been fried off and crispy, and you can
use either smoked or unsmoked, whichever you prefer. You can of course use
actual bacon, or remove the fat from bacon, or even use cooked ham – whichever
is best for you.
For the chicken, I tend to buy chicken
breasts and then cut into inch size chunks. I find it easier, but you can buy
chicken already in chunks, or chicken thighs, or mini fillets etc… and cut into
the chunks.
When cooking the bacon, you cook until crispy. When you cook the chicken, I
cook for a few minutes so all the sides are no longer pink, but it’s not
essential for the middles of the chicken to be fully cooked. When adding the
sauce and boiling it, and then when cooking in the oven, the chicken gets
cooked through.
Leeks
I have a weird thing for leeks, because I
find they are easy to cook, add a delicious flavour that is different and
sometimes preferential to onions, and I just love them. I won’t lie, leek and
potato soup is one of my favourite flavours, and I adore it.
I grab two medium leeks, slice them relatively thinly, and fry. It doesn’t have
to be super thin, it doesn’t have to be perfectly sliced – just slice and then
fry away in the frying pan. I find leeks are quick to cook, and they compliment
the flavour of the chicken and bacon wonderfully, and suit this style of pie perfectly.
Flavours
For the flavours in this pie, I went for
thyme and bay leaves. There are so many options of flavours that you can add to
this sort of pie, but I do really adore these herbs added to a creamy sauce.
I tend to buy dried herbs as they last a
lot longer, and I never tend to use a whole plant up before it goes off – but
you can use fresh if you wish. I would add 2-3 sprigs of thyme, and a few bay
leaves – but again, dried is easy.
Obviously there is salt and pepper too, but that is a classic in most cooking
recipes (and it should be!). I just sprinkle some into the sauce, and then stir
through – and then pour onto the base and bake.
The sauce
The sauce is super easy to make, and
that’s how I like it. A mixture of chicken stock and double cream makes a thick
and luxurious sauce for a pie like this, and I am obsessed. You can use
different flavoured stocks if you prefer, that is totally fine. I tend to use
the jelly cubes, and then add the equivalent of boiling water (200ml for this
recipe).
I find the double cream gives a thickness
and richness to the sauce, without being heavy. You can use single cream, but
it will make a thinner sauce, even after the cornflour addition, whereas with
the double cream its perfect.
To be honest, even without make this a pie, this chicken, leek and bacon creamy
sauce is ideal for other meals – serve with mashed potato, add pasta, and so
on… so many dinner ideas with the delicious base to this recipe.
Pastry
For this pie, I use puff pastry. It’s
probably one of my favourite pastry as it’s delicious and buttery and heavenly.
I do line the base of the pie with pastry, which is optional – but I love it.
You blind bake the pastry slightly to prevent a completely soggy bottom
however. The sides of the puff pastry when blind baking may puff slightly, but
that is totally okay.
I top
the pie with puff pastry, and add some little shapes of pastry to decorate –
but this is optional. You want to cut a small cross in the middle of the pie to
let air escape whilst its cooking, and I brush the top of the pie with milk to
glaze and make lovely and golden, but you can use beaten egg instead.
To finish…
Once this
delicious chicken, leek & bacon pie is ready, you can serve it… salad, new
potatoes, veg, roasties, whatever you want! It suits many side dishes.
·
You can
swap the chicken stock for a different flavoured stock if you fancy
·
You can
swap the chicken and bacon for mushrooms, and extra leeks or other veggies if
you want a meat free pie
·
This
pie is best served fresh
·
The
pastry on the base is optional, you can just put it on top
· You can top it with filo pastry instead if you want a lighter pie
Chicken,
Leek & Bacon Pie!
A
delicious and comforting homemade chicken, leek & bacon pie which is an
easy and perfect dinner idea for the family.
Print Pin Rate
Category:
Dinner
Type:
Savoury
Keyword:
Chicken, cookie pie
Prep
Time: 30 minutes minutes
Cook
Time: 25 minutes minutes
Total
Time: 55 minutes minutes
Servings:
6 people
Author:
Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
·
2
sheets puff pastry
·
200 g
bacon lardons
·
2
medium leeks (sliced)
·
600 g
chicken breast (cut into chunks)
·
1 tsp
dried thyme
·
5 bay
leaves
·
200 ml
chicken stock
·
150 ml
double cream
·
1 tbsp
cornflour
·
salt
& pepper
·
milk to
glaze
Grams –
Ounces
Instructions
·
Preheat
the oven to 200ºc/180ºc fan and grab a 35x23cm dish
·
Line
the base of the dish with one of the sheets of puff pastry (you may have to
roll it out slightly to make it a smidge thinner)
·
Line
the pastry with some parchment paper, and fill with baking beans to cover the
base
·
Bake in
the oven for 15 minutes, and then remove and take out the baking beans and
parchment paper
·
While
you are baking the pastry, fry the bacon lardons in a large frying pan until
they turn crispy, and then remove from the pan
·
Add the
leeks to the frying pan and fry until they have started to soften, and then add
the chicken chunks and fry for a few minutes
·
Return
the bacon lardons to the frying pan, and add the dried thyme, bay leaves,
chicken stock, double cream and cornflour dissolved in 2tbsp cold water
·
Stir
together and bring the mixture to a rolling boil, until the sauce thickens
·
Season
with salt and pepper, and then pour into the dish onto the pastry base
·
Top the
pie with the second piece of pastry, and seal the edges with your thumbs or a
fork. Cut a small cross into the middle to allow air to escape
·
Brush
the pastry with milk (and decorate with extra pieces of pastry if you fancy)
·
Bake
the pie in the oven for 25 minutes, until golden brown
·
Serve
immediately with salad, potatoes or veg!
Notes
·
You can
swap the chicken stock for a different flavoured stock if you fancy
·
You can
swap the chicken and bacon for mushrooms, and extra leeks or other veggies if
you want a meat free pie
·
This
pie is best served fresh
·
The
pastry on the base is optional, you can just put it on top
·
You can
top it with filo pastry instead if you want a lighter pie
ENJOY!









