Cheese and Bacon Muffins!
Easy, savoury and utterly scrumptious cheese and bacon muffins that you will want to make over and over again!
When I
think about baking I do often think about the sweet side of things, partly
because its what you guys request a lot of the time – but more and more you are
all requesting savoury bakes; and I am HERE FOR IT.
What happens when you add cheese in to a bake?! You create something that is my idea of heaven… so these cheese and bacon muffins are here and are happening. THEY ARE GLORIOUS.
Muffins
When I think of muffins I think of triple chocolate muffins, or white chocolate and raspberry muffins, but I also think of something cheesy and delicious – kind of like a cheese scone. Marrying all things together makes a glorious bake.
A muffin mixture is meant to be really simple to make, and these really are.
You don’t need a mixer, it’s that easy! And to be honest, even if you do have a
stand mixer, you don’t want to use one – you want to mix muffin mixtures as
little as possible to get the lightest and fluffiest texture.
·
Flour – For these
muffins as you want a slightly lighter texture due to the cheese, self raising
is by far the best to use.
·
Oil – I use sunflower
oil as it’s tasteless, in a good way. Vegetable oil works well, but I would
avoid oils like olive oil as they carry a stronger flavour.
·
Milk – As always, I
recommend using whole milk – especially in these though. As there are so few
ingredients, you really want it for the best results.
· Egg – The egg helps bind the ingredients, and brings a little bit of richness to the muffins.
Flavours
Obviously,
the theme is cheese and bacon muffins. It’s just a combination that works
absolute wonders in my eyes and I am in love.
·
Cheese – I love a
strong cheese flavour, so I used extra mature cheddar cheese. You can use
normal mature, or even a milder cheese, but a cheddar is best. Avoid using a
mozzarella as it doesn’t work in the same way.
·
Bacon – The bacon
brings a saltiness to the muffins which is dreamy. You can use smoked or
unsmoked, but making the bacon extra crispy before adding to the muffins has
best results.
· Seasoning – salt and pepper is an obvious one – you don’t necessarily need lots of salt because of the cheese and bacon, but a little is nice. Pepper brings a delicious flavour as well.
Tips & Tricks
If you
wanted to make some savoury muffins but wanted them to be vegetarian as you
don’t eat bacon, you can use vegan bacon lardons instead, or replace the bacon
with some onion for cheese and onion muffins! Or you could even try something
such as leek or red pepper!
It
really is best to mix these as little as possible, and then bake straight away.
If you find your muffins are a denser texture, they have most likely been over
mixed. I wouldn’t add too many more fillings as this can also cause an issue!
I
obviously add extra cheese on top, but that’s more of a decoration – this is
optional however.
If you have any questions about the recipe – ask below in the comments! Jane x
Cheese and Bacon Muffins!
Easy, savoury and utterly scrumptious
cheese and bacon muffins that you will want to make over and over again!
Print Pin Rate
Category:
Savoury
Type:
Muffins
Keyword:
Bacon, cheese
Prep
Time: 10 minutes minutes
Cook
Time: 20 minutes minutes
Cooling
time: 15 minutes minutes
Total
Time: 45 minutes minutes
Servings:
12 muffins
Author:
Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
·
300 g self-raising
flour
·
100 g mature cheddar
cheese (grated)
·
80 ml sunflower oil
·
250 ml whole milk
·
1 medium egg
·
200 g cooked bacon
lardons
·
salt & pepper
·
extra cheese
Grams – Ounces
Instructions
·
Preheat
the oven to 200ºc/180ºfan and prep 12 tulip sized muffin cases.
·
Add the
flour, cheese, oil, milk, egg, cooked bacon, and seasoning to a bowl and mix
with a spatula as little as possible.
·
Split
the mixture between the 12 tulip cases and then sprinkle on some extra cheese
if you fancy.
·
Bake
the muffins in the oven for 20-22 minutes.
·
Let
them cool for about 15 minutes and enjoy warm, or leave to cool fully.




