Battenberg
Cheesecake!
A delicious no-bake Battenberg Cheesecake with a Battenberg shell, biscuit base, almond and jam flavoured cheesecake filling and more.
of the most highly requested
and viral bakes that there have ever been… the Battenberg One Cheesecake. Marrying
all your favourite Battenberg bits into cheesecake form – what could be
better?!
Battenberg
Battenberg is one of those
cakes that is an absolute cult classic, and everyone will recognise the iconic
square shaped colourful sponges. It’s a cake that I adore, but it’s not one I
often make as the steps take far long than others (but don’t worry, a recipe is
on it’s way!).
The cake is typically a light
sponge with an almond flavour, coloured pink and yellow, sandwiched with jam
and covered in marzipan. This cheesecake recipe is designed to replicate that,
in as many ways as possible, whilst still being a cheesecake.
I was always told that the chequered markings on emergency service vehicles are called battenberg markings after the cake, which is quite cool. And I have made a fair few Battenberg cakes in my time but I have swapped up the colours and flavours to suit themes – even a police cake with blue and yellow!
Biscuit Base
Because I went with the idea of
putting Battenberg cake around the sides of the cake tin, I filled the middle
with a biscuit base instead. Sort of like my kitkat cheesecake, I just wanted
to fill the middle somewhat so there is still a chunk of biscuit base involved.
I found it best to sandwich the
pieces of battenberg around the edge, type in the finely blitzed biscuits mixed
with the melted butter, and then press down. I used digestives as they are the
most classic biscuit to use in my opinion, but you can use whatever you want,
really. If you used a chocolate covered biscuit, or a filled biscuit, make sure
to use about 2/3 of the butter.
Cheesecake Filling
The cheesecake filling is part
of the fun when it comes to this battenberg cheesecake because it’s meant to
represent the colours of the battenberg sponge, but also look pretty and taste
amazing. I made the yellow part taste like almond, and the pink part taste like
a strawberry jam.
The almond is stronger in
flavour compared to the jam, but you can add more jam if you prefer or use a
raspberry/strawberry flavouring in place of the jam. The yellow and pink
colouring is purely designed to make it look more like the sponge, as the jam
won’t colour the cheesecake mix enough itself.
I always use strong colours such as this yellow food colouring and this pink food colouring so that you have to use a minute amount in the recipe.
Decoration
As the cheesecake is super easy
to get in and out of the tin with the cake shell, it makes the decoration
really quick and easy as well. I went for a simple decoration of sweetened
whipped cream with slices of mini Battenberg cakes because it looked damn cute.
As always, decoration is
entirely up to you – I just do something simple to finish off how the bake and
recipe look, but you don’t have to worry too much. You can use sprinkles,
melted chocolate, an extra swirl of jam into the top of the cheesecake etc –
it’s up to you.
Tips & Tricks
·
I
cut my Battenberg cake into pieces about 1cm in thickness as you want them to
be strong enough to withstand being moved about and squished into the tin. I
found this use just over one Battenberg to fill the sides of the tin properly,
so if you want to use one, you need thin slices.
·
I
used 3 mini battenbergs to create the slices for the decoration, but again you
could leave these off or have thinner slices if you want to use less.
·
I
used strawberry jam and this pink food colouring for the pink part of the
cheesecake filling, and I used almond extract and this yellow food
colouring for the yellow part of the cheesecake filling.
·
This
cheesecake will last for 3-4 days in the fridge once made.
· I used this cake tin to make my cheesecake.
Battenberg Cheesecake!
A delicious no-bake Battenberg
Cheesecake with a Battenberg shell, biscuit base, almond and jam flavoured
cheesecake filling and more.
Print Pin Rate
Category: Dessert
Type: Cheesecake
Keyword: Battenberg
Prep Time: 30 minutes minutes
Setting/Decorating: 6 hours
hours
Total Time: 6 hours hours 30
minutes minutes
Servings: 12 slices
Author: Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
Cake
·
1-2
Battenberg cakes (sliced 1cm thick)
Biscuit Base
·
200
g digestive biscuits
·
100
g unsalted butter (melted)
Cheesecake Filling
·
500
g full-fat soft cheese
·
125
g icing sugar
·
1
tsp vanilla extract
·
300
ml double cream
·
1
tsp almond extract
·
yellow
food colouring*
·
50
g strawberry/raspberry jam
·
pink
food colouring*
Decoration
·
150
ml double cream
·
2
tbsp icing sugar
·
3-4
mini battenbergs (sliced 1cm thick)
Grams – Ounces
Instructions
·
Slice
the Battenberg cakes into 1-2cm size pieces and place around the edge of a deep
8″ cake tin firmly
·
Blitz
the biscuits to a fine crumb, mix in the melted butter
·
Pour
into the tin, inside the Battenberg shell, and press down firmly
·
Add
the full-fat soft cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar to a bowl and mix
·
Add
the double cream and whisk until thick
·
Split
the mixture into two, and add the almond extract and yellow colouring to one
bowl, and the strawberry/raspberry jam into the other.
·
*How
much colouring you need depends on brand, I only use 1-2 drops.
·
Randomly
dollop the mixture into the tin on top of the biscuit base and swirl through as
you go
·
Set
the cheesecake in the fridge for 5-6 hours, or preferably overnight
·
Decorate
by whipping the cream and icing sugar together and piping on, and top with a
slice of mini Battenberg cake.
Notes
·
I
cut my Battenberg cake into pieces about 1cm in thickness as you want them to
be strong enough to withstand being moved about and squished into the tin. I
found this use just over one Battenberg to fill the sides of the tin properly,
so if you want to use one, you need thin slices.
·
I
used 3 mini battenbergs to create the slices for the decoration, but again you
could leave these off or have thinner slices if you want to use less.
·
I
used strawberry jam and this pink food colouring for the pink part of the cheesecake
filling, and I used almond extract and this yellow food colouring for the
yellow part of the cheesecake filling.
·
This
cheesecake will last for 3-4 days in the fridge once made.
·
I
used this cake tin to make my cheesecake.
ENJOY!








