hello and welcome https://deliciousstff.blogspot.com/ on this blog you will find Keyword
cooking
cooking pot
cooking simulator
cooking mama
cooking cream
cooking class berlin
cooking papa
cooking spray
cooking oil
cooking rice
cooking games
A spooky yet delicious Halloween drip cake to be the
ultimate showstopper… chocolate sponge, orange buttercream, and all things
spooky!
Halloween baking
I knew I wanted to do a cake for
Halloween this year but I wasn’t sure where to start. I wanted to make this
recipe easier than others I have seen so that more people can make it!
I saw pictures of drip cakes, but the
drip bit was ‘blood’ or I saw cakes where various creatures and creepies were
climbing out of the cake, and these are all AMAZING.
Halloween drip cake
However, my recipe had to be easy
enough for all, and still delicious without spending a big buck! So, my version
of Halloween drip cake happened!
I realise it’s not actually spooky at
all. Partly because the ghost marshmallows on top are actually more cute than
scary, but this is beside the point. I wanted to make it delicious, and that
did actually happen!
Sponge
I went for a chocolate cake as I adore
it, and I feel like the dark colour of the chocolate made it look slightly more
spooky than vanilla cake. I used the recipe for the cake from my Oreo drip
cake as it was such a success with so many of you making it.
Buttercream
I did, however, notice that everyone
loved the cake sponge lots but struggled to decorate it… Sometimes that is
because the buttercream is still slightly too stiff, or the sponge is still too
moist and soft. If you are struggling to smooth buttercream around the sides,
refrigerate the cakes first so they’re slightly firmer and it’ll be easier!
Flavours/Colourings
I went for a simple orange coloured
vanilla buttercream frosting so it was almost ‘Halloween Coloured’ as
Halloween mainly reminds me of the colour orange! You can easily flavour
the buttercream to whatever you prefer, but I used vanilla as I like it with
chocolate!
I used a mixture of red and yellow
colourings to make my orange as it’s all I had, but any gel or paste colouring
will work well – see my recommendations one food colourings here – I
recommend Sugarflair and ProGel food colourings above any supermarket brand as
you need so much less, and they’re so good.. they worked perfectly for
my Halloween macarons!
Decoration
One thing I must say is that I adored
doing a spider web style on the top so much I think I put lines through it a
little too often… so maybe do fewer lines that I did as mine looks a little
spikey! But hey ho.. I found these delicious little Marshmallows from Tiger and
the sprinkles in Asda.
Chocolate drip
I had to use my classic drip when it
came to this cake because I am obsessed with it. 75g dark chocolate, 75g milk
chocolate and 150ml double cream creates the perfect drip – as seen in my mini
egg drip cake. The balance of cocoa content in the chocolate just enhances the
drip to the perfect texture which you can see in the photos. Also, it does just
taste really delicious.
Halloween Drip Cake!
A spooky yet delicious Halloween drip cake to be the ultimate
showstopper… chocolate sponge, orange buttercream, and all things spooky!
Print
Pin Rate
Category: Cake
Type: Drip Cake
Keyword: Halloween
Prep Time: 20 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes minutes
Cooling & Decorating: 4 hours hours
Total Time: 4 hours hours 50 minutes minutes
Servings: 18 Slices
Author: Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
Cake
·400 g unsalted
butter
·400 g light brown
sugar
·8 medium eggs
·325 g self raising
flour
·75 g cocoa powder
·2 tsp baking powder
Frosting
·350 g unsalted
butter
·750 g icing sugar
·1/2 tsp vanilla
extract
·Orange food
colouring
Decoration
·75 g milk chocolate
·75 g dark chocolate
·150 ml double cream
·25 g white
chocolate
·Halloween
marshmallows
·Halloween sprinkles
Grams – Ounces
Instructions
For the
Cake!
·Heat the oven to
180C/160C fan and line three 20cm/8inch cake tins with baking parchment – leave
to the side.
·In a stand mixer,
beat together the butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy.
·Add in the flour,
cocoa powder, beaten eggs, baking powder and beat again briefly till combined –
try not to over beat the mixture!
·Divide the mixture
between the three tins and smooth it over – bake for 25-30 minutes until a
skewer comes out clean when poked, and when the cake springs back.
·Once baked, leave
the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then remove and leave to cool
fully on a wire rack. If the cake has domed slightly, leave the cake to cool
upside down to flatten it slightly.
For the Frosting!
·In a stand mixer,
beat the room temperature butter with an electric mixer until it is smooth and
loose and then beat in the icing sugar 1/3 at a time until its fully combined.
·Keep beating the
buttercream for a few minutes so it starts to get fluffier and lighter. If the
mixture is really stiff, you need to add in a tablespoon of boiling water at a
time till you reach a smooth, and light consistency that’s good for spreading.
·Add in the orange
food colouring (or red and yellow Colouring) and beat the buttercream again
until smooth, and there is a consistent bright orange colour throughout.
For the Decoration!
·Once the cakes are
cooled, put the first layer on the serving plate spread some of the buttercream
onto the top of the first layer, add the second cake on top, and then top again
with some of buttercream and then add the final sponge layer. Only use about 2
tbsps of buttercream per layer so that you have enough to decorate with!
·With the leftover
buttercream, as you can see, I covered the sides (and top) too! Do a first
layer of around the edge and top using a large metal scraper and refrigerate
for 10 minutes.
·Repeat again with a
slightly thicker layer of buttercream. I slather it on all over using an offset
spatula, and then run the metal scraper round until its smooth. You put more on
than will stay on because when you smooth it over, you will naturally scrape
some back off again.
·Once finished, melt
the milk chocolate, dark chocolate and double cream together until smooth
·Using disposable
piping bags, pipe it around the edge of the cake, edging over slight bits to
create the drip. You don’t need to use too much per drip as it’ll drop quite
far down by itself! Fill in the top in with the rest of the chocolate so the
top is also covered.
·Melt the white
chocolate and drizzle it in a spiral from the inside out, and then run the
point of a cake skewer through it from the middle outwards to create the look
of a spiders web. Refrigerate the cake for about 10 minutes so the chocolate
has a chance to set slightly.
·Using some left
over buttercream, pipe little rosettes of buttercream onto the top and add a
spookily delicious ghosty marshmallow and then sprinkle on some Halloween
sprinkles! Enjoy!
Notes
·All of the
decorations are completely optional – but I love this style of cake! To
make a smaller version of the cake, use:
oTwo 8″cake tins
o300g butter
o300g sugar
o245g flour
o55g cocoa powder
o1.5tsps baking
powder
oIt might take an
extra 5-10 minutes to bake
oUse 2/3 of the
decoration recipes!
·You obviously don’t
have to make straight edged buttercream if you don’t want to, but I just like
the look of it! You can slather it on, and it’ll still taste damn delicious.
·However, if you do
want to make it like this, I seriously recommend using a metal scraper for the decoration of the
buttercream, and the disposable piping bags.. I wouldn’t be anywhere
without them!
·This cake will last
in an airtight container for 3 days!