Coffee Walnut Loaf Cake!
Coffee Walnut Loaf Cake!
A classic bake
in loaf cake form… what more could you want?! A coffee and walnut studded
sponge with a smooth coffee buttercream frosting. YUM.
Coffee
I adore coffee now, but usually
iced I won’t lie. I didn’t drink coffee until a couple of years ago, and now I
adore all iced coffee, and I’m gradually learning to love hot coffee as well.
However, coffee cake?! That’s always been yummy.
I know so many people who are
not coffee drinkers who would happily have a slice of coffee cake as there is
just something about it that is a little bit different. It’s a lovely warming
flavour almost and I just adore it.
In case anyone was wondering, an iced white mocha is my favourite. I am coming
round to a coconut milk mocha though? Both are great drinks to have with a side
of coffee and walnut cake, however.
For this bake, I used instant
coffee. I always have it lying around for bakes as it’s easier, but you can
swap it to 1-2 tsps coffee extract, or even use a double espresso shot from a
coffee machine.
Coffee bakes
I have posted a few coffee
based bakes on my blog now, but definitely nowhere near enough. I adore my
coffee and walnut cupcakes which are basically a mini version of this loaf
cake, as well as my coffee cake which is a chunk of a cake. Trust me, it’s huge.
I wanted to do a coffee loaf cake as it’s been one of the most highly requested
bakes EVER for something that is so so simple and classic. It’s a cake that I
think so many people will eat at a bakery or when they’re out for coffee and
cake.
Coffee is also a brilliant
addition to a chocolate fudge cake because it brings out the chocolate flavour
in the chocolate cake – it’s a wonderful ingredient that adds a delicious
depth.
Loaf cakes
Loaf cakes are one of my
favourite cakes to make. They are easy to pour into the correct tin, easier to
decorate as they are so much simpler, and they always look like fun. They can
be slightly annoying to photograph, but that’s no worries.
One slight annoyance with the
actual baking process of a loaf cake however is that NO 2lb loaf tin is the
same size. I know, this may sound ridiculous… but I recently bought 12
different loaf cake tins so that I could compare, and they were all different.
Some, even though named the same size, could fit half of the volume of cake
mix.
Because it’s so inconsistent, I always test my recipes using this 2lb loaf tin
to make it easier. However, when making these cakes, make sure not to fill past
2/3 full so it doesn’t overflow. Any spare cake mix, if your tin is smaller,
can be used to make cupcakes (they take 20 minutes to bake at 160ºc).
Some of my favourite loaf cakes
I’ve made using this tin are my white chocolate and raspberry loaf cake, my
chocolate orange loaf cake and my baileys chocolate fudge loaf cake – but this
one? This coffee walnut loaf cake is definitely up there with one of my new
favourites.
The cake
·
Butter – for the butter, you
can use a baking spread or a block butter – both work well for the cake.
·
Sugar – because this is a
coffee cake, I use brown sugar as it brings out the coffee flavour even more
·
Flour – self raising flour, as
it’s for a cake. You can use plain flour of the same weight though, and mix in
2 level tsps baking powder per 150g of plain flour
·
Eggs – I always use medium
eggs, so I used four eggs for this.
·
Coffee – I used a good quality
instant coffee, but as mentioned above, you can use other coffee.
·
Walnuts – I use chopped walnuts
so it’s smaller pieces spread throughout the cake mix
Decoration
The decoration is so easy when
it comes to a loaf cake. I tend to always use my favourite piping tip, and
swirl the buttercream in a rope like format across the cake in lines. You can
of course just dollop the frosting on and spread, or pipe it in a different
way.
·
Butter – you must use block
butter for the frosting, and not a spread.
·
Sugar – I use icing sugar, of
course.
·
Coffee – as with the cake, I
used instant coffee dissolved in water, but you can use others.
·
Walnuts – I kept some as
halves, and some chopped
·
Sprinkles – because why not?!
Tips and tricks
·
This bake will last for 4+ days
at room temperature
·
You can freeze this bake for 3+
months
·
I use this 2lb loaf tin – if
yours is smaller, only fill the tin 2/3 full.
·
You can swap it to 1-2 tsps
coffee extract, or even use a double espresso shot from a coffee machine.
·
I use this piping tip
·
I use these piping bags
Coffee Walnut Loaf Cake
A classic bake in loaf cake form… what more could you want?! A
coffee and walnut studded sponge with a smooth coffee buttercream frosting.
YUM.
Print Pin Rate
Category: Cake
Type: Loaf Cake
Keyword: Coffee, Walnut
Prep Time: 30 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour hour
Cooling & Decorating: 2 hours hours
Total Time: 3 hours hours 30 minutes minutes
Servings: 10 slices
Author: Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
·
225 g unsalted butter/baking
spread
·
225 g light brown soft sugar
·
225 g self raising flour
·
4 medium eggs
·
2 tsps instant coffee
(dissolved in 2tsps boiling water)
·
125 g walnuts (chopped)
Buttercream
·
150 g unsalted butter
·
300 g icing sugar
·
2 tsps instant coffee
(dissolved in 2tsps boiling water)
Decoration
·
walnuts (chopped)
·
sprinkles
Grams – Ounces
Instructions
Cake
·
Preheat your oven to
180ºc/160ºc fan and line a 2lb loaf tin
·
Beat together the unsalted
butter and sugar until light and creamy
·
Add in the flour and eggs and
beat again. Add the dissolved coffee and mix
·
Stir through the chopped
walnuts and pour into a lined tin. Bake the cake for 55-65 minutes
·
Once baked, leave to cool
fully.
Buttercream
·
Beat the unsalted butter on its
own to loosen
·
Add the icing sugar and beat
together
·
Add the dissolved coffee and
mix
Decoration
·
Add the buttercreams to a
piping bag and decorate
·
Add some chopped walnuts and
sprinkles and ENJOY!
Notes
·
This bake will last for 4+ days
at room temperature
·
You can freeze this bake for 3+
months
·
I use this 2lb loaf tin – if
yours is smaller, only fill the tin 2/3 full.
·
You can swap it to 1-2 tsps
coffee extract, or even use a double espresso shot from a coffee machine.
·
I use this piping tip
· I use these piping bags
ENJOY!











