Malteser Drip
Cake!
A three
layer malt chocolate cake with malt buttercream frosting, Malteser spread, and
a chocolate drip with oodles of Maltesers! Delicious Malteser drip cake!
Malteser drip cake
So Malteser Buttons are now a thing, and
I finally managed to find them in the shops after way too much time… and now
they’re everywhere. I honestly couldn’t find them for so much time, and now
they’re in every local supermarket. Including giant sharing bags in Sainsburys!
But anyway… I wanted to include them in a bake. I was also craving a massive
slice of cake, so a Malteser cake seemed appropriate.
Ages ago I posted my Malteser cake,
and its definitely one of my favourites. The sponges that I use in
the Malteser cake are different to this one for a reason. I like
posting recipes and such, but I wanted to show a way to make the actual cake
part of a Malteser related cake easier for some, as not everyone wants to go
through the effort of my other Malteser cake. I still adore both types of
sponges, but this one is definitely an easier one, and probably more stable for
a drip cake!
Malt
buttercream frosting
One thing I definitely couldn’t change
between this recipe, my Malteser cake, and my Malteser
cupcakes is the malt buttercream frosting. This part does confuse people
slightly sometimes, but its a lot easier to make and source than people might
think. All it is is a regular buttercream frosting, but with a
Horlicks/Ovaltine type drinking powder mixed in. When you’re in the hot
chocolate section of the supermarket, you’ll see them.
They do quite a few different ones, and
sometimes they even sell Malteser hot chocolate or similar, but the most
Malteser biscuit type flavour comes from the Horlicks/Ovaltine type
powders. This bit is completely optional, you can just use a regular
buttercream frosting it you want, but I like to stick with a theme in a bake.
For example, in my honeycomb crunchie cake recipes, I use a honey buttercream
frosting.
Semi naked cake
For this particular one, I thought I
would go for a bit more of semi-naked style cake. Partly because I couldn’t be
bothered to do the buttercream in the fully covered way, and partly because I
really actually like the look of it! It’s not to everyones taste, but I
love it. My Easter piñata cake is basically the same, but with the different
buttercream flavour.
You can easily make this cake into a
Malteser version of the Easter piñata cake, by following the same methods
in the Easter piñata cake post, but filling with Maltesers. I
didn’t actually have enough Maltesers on the day of baking this as I might have
munched on a few too many, but you get the idea. Whichever way you decide to do
this cake, it will be delicious.
Sponge
You can see from the slices of the cake
that its super chocolatey, and I love that. I use the malt powder in the cake
as well to get a hint of the flavour, but you can easily leave it out if you
want. I know that Victoria sponge style cakes have 400g of dry ingredients
(flour and/or cocoa powder), and technically this one does… apart from the Malt
Powder. Adding this in after this makes the cake mix denser, but it makes it
more madeira like.
If you bake the cakes the day before you
decorate, its best to store them at ROOM TEMPERATURE (definitely not the
fridge) and they will be super moist and fudgey the next day. Or, even if you
decorate on the day of baking, it’ll be lovellyyyyy. I love any type of
chocolate cake to be honest, but when the sponge is deliciously chocolatey,
then slathered with buttercream frosting, Malteser spread and then even more
delicious you can’t beat it. HEAVENLY.
Malteser
Drip Cake!
A three
layer malt chocolate cake with malt buttercream frosting, Malteser spread, and
a chocolate drip with oodles of Maltesers! Delicious Malteser drip cake!
#wprm-recipe-rating-7
.wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * { fill: #343434;
}#wprm-recipe-rating-7 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-33 svg * { fill:
url(#wprm-recipe-rating-7-33); }#wprm-recipe-rating-7
.wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-50 svg * { fill:
url(#wprm-recipe-rating-7-50); }#wprm-recipe-rating-7
.wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-66 svg * { fill:
url(#wprm-recipe-rating-7-66); }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-7-33 stop {
stop-color: #343434; }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-7-50 stop { stop-color:
#343434; }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-7-66 stop { stop-color: #343434; }
Print
Pin Rate
Category:
Cake
Type:
Drip Cake
Keyword:
Malteser
Prep
Time: 30 minutes minutes
Cook
Time: 30 minutes minutes
Total
Time: 1 hour hour
Servings:
15 Slices
Author:
Jane’s Patisserie
Ingredients
Cake Ingredients
·
400 g
unsalted butter
·
400 g
light brown sugar
·
8 medium
eggs
·
350 g
self raising flour
·
50 g
cocoa powder
·
100 g
malt powder (Horlicks)
Buttercream
Ingredients
·
350 g
unsalted butter (room temp)
·
650 g icing
sugar
·
100 g malt
powder
·
2-4 tbsp
boiling water
Decoration
·
100 g
dark chocolate
·
2 tsp
sunflower oil
·
200 g
Malteser spread
·
Leftover
buttercream frosting
·
Maltesers
·
Malteser
Buttons
Grams – Ounces
Instructions
For the Cake!
·
Heat the
oven to 180C/160C Fan and line three 20cm/8inch cake tins with baking parchment
– leave to the side.
·
In a
stand mixer, beat together the butter and light brown sugar until light and
fluffy. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, malt powder and eggs and beat again
briefly until combined – try not to over beat the mixture!
·
Divide
the mixture between the three tins and smooth it over – bake for 25-30 minutes
until a skewer comes out clean when poked, and when the cake springs back.
·
Once
baked, leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then remove and
leave to cool fully on a wire rack. If the cake has domed slightly, leave the
cake to cool upside down to flatten it slightly.
For the
Buttercream!
·
In a
stand mixer, beat the room temperature butter with an electric mixer until it
is smooth and loose and then beat in the icing sugar 1/3 at a time until its
fully combined.
·
Keep
beating the buttercream for a few minutes so it starts to get fluffier and
lighter.
·
Add in
the malt powder and beat again, adding 1tbsp of boiling water at a time until
you get the buttercream you want. When its hot summer weather, I usually only
add 1 tbsp.
For the
Decoration!
·
Once the
cakes are cooled, put the first layer on the serving plate – spread one or
tablespoons of the buttercream onto the top of the first layer, and spread over
a tablespoon of the Malteser Spread.
·
Add the
second cake on top, and then top again with some of buttercream and Malteser
spread, and then add the final sponge layer.
·
Spread a
thin layer or the buttercream around the edges of the cake to fill in any gaps
and form a ‘Crumb Coat’. Leave this to set in the fridge for 10 minutes, or on
the side for 30 minutes until the Buttercream crusts over.
·
I then
spread another layer round, but kept it quite thin as I wanted a naked cake
style. However, if you want to fully cover the cake, add more on, and scrape it
round until its smooth.
·
I use a
large metal scraper to do the smoothing. It’s easier to roughly spread some
around all the edges of the cake, and then smooth it all.
·
Once
finished, melt the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Add in 2tsp of oil and
beat until smooth. Using disposable piping bags, pipe it round the edge of the
cake, edging over slight bits to create the drip.
·
Leave it
to set for about 10 minutes, and then add some more malteser spread on top.
Alternatively, add the malteser spread on the top first, and then drip around
the edges.
·
Leave
the chocolate/spread to set for about 10 minutes or so, and then pipe the rest
of the buttercream on top, and add on some Maltesers, crushed Maltesers, and
Malteser Buttons.
Notes
·
You
obviously don’t have to make straight edged buttercream if you don’t want to, but
I just like the look of it! You can slather it on, and it’ll still taste damn
delicious.
·
However,
if you do want to make it like this, I seriously recommend using a metal scraper for the decoration of the
buttercream, and the disposable piping bags..
I wouldn’t be anywhere without them!
·
All of
the decorations are completely optional – but I love this style of
cake! To make a smaller version of the cake, use:
o Two 8″cake tins
o 300g butter
o 300g sugar
o 255g flour
o 35g cocoa powder
o 75g malt powder
o 6 medium eggs








